On May 18 the European Commission and national consumer protection authorities published their new sweep report revealing misleading commercial practices adopted by websites offering telecommunication (e.g. fixed/mobile phone, internet) and other digital services (e.g. streaming) (see more Buying telecom services online...). Out of 207 screened websites - 163 could be currently infringing EU consumer law. The most common suspicious practices concerned:
- incorrectly advertising certain packages as free or discounted, as in fact these belonged to a bundled offer;
- not offering a dispute resolution system (or link to ODR);
- maintaining a possibility of unilateral change of T&Cs without adhering to rules on notification or providing a justification;
- providing incorrect or misleading information on refunds in case of either withdrawal from the contract or non-conformity;
- automatic contract renewals without properly informing consumers about this.
|From the EU Commission website|